Hello my lovelies! Today has been a whirlwind, and my eats are definitely not worth even mentioning as they were all eaten in a rush between making much more interesting things in the kitchen. I’m rushing off to a holiday party tonight at my boss’s house, for which I am bringing one of my favorite pie recipes. I thought I would share it with you this evening, and hope to post the other fun holiday treats that the hubb and I made today, tomorrow. Have a lovely evening!
Cranberry Apple Holiday Pie
This is the first pie recipe I ever made on my own. I started with a recipe I found in an old cookbook of mine that I don’t even have anymore, but have modified it over the years. Its the perfect holiday pie and always a big hit.
Cranberry Apple Pie
for the filling:
- zest of one orange
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 large, tart apples
- 1 cup of cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
for the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter, cut in pieces
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and cut-in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- With a fork, stir in just enough iced water to bind the dough.
- Gather into two equal balls, wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Combine orange zest and juice in a medium-sized bowl. Peel and core the apples and add them to the orange mixture. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, sugar and tapioca.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of dough about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a 9 inch pie tin and trim the edge. Spoon the cranberry apple mixture into the shell.
- Roll out the remaining ball of dough to a circle about 11 inches in diameter. With a serrated pastry wheel, cut the dough into 10 strips 3/4” wide. Lay five of the strips across the pie in one direction, and lace the other five strips perpendicularly to the first five.
- Brush the top of the dough strips with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
What is your favorite holiday dessert?